As it’s Plastic-Free July Wendy – with the help of her grandchildren James and Zoe has come up with some tips on how to take part……….
- Take part in a beach clean
- Use wooden or metal picnic cutlery
- Use soap bar instead of hand wash or shower gel (could be 2 separate ones)
- Use bamboo toothbrushes (this could also be expanded to other types of brush!)
- Buy soap powder in cartons instead of liquid detergent or capsules in plastic tubs
- Use reusable water bottles
- Use your own cup for takeaway coffee or take a thermos with you.
- Avoid toothpaste or cosmetics with plastic bits in
- Make your own packed lunch instead of buying ready-made sandwiches
- Make your own bread
- Buy loose wrapped veg and fruit,
- Use your own bags for shopping
- Buy used clothes from the charity shop (or send your off casts to charity rather than binning them)
- Shampoo bar instead of bottles
- Buy pasta, rice etc from zero waste shop
- Use loose leaf tea instead of tea bags
- Use sheep wool insulation in buildings
- Wood floors instead of plastic
- Use mineral-based paint
- Buy wood furniture
- Wood window frames
- Woolly jumpers instead of fleece
- Litter pickers of reused plastic
- Pencils instead of plastic pens – with metal sharpeners!
- Use coffee beans instead of coffee pods
- Grow your own veg
- Use old milk or fruit containers to grow seeds instead of buying plastic flowerpots!
- Buy jam, mayonnaise etc in glass jars instead of plastic
And of course – JOIN CHANGING STREAMS!!
You can also view this fantastic video for a short summary
Please feel free to share this article with like-minded friends and colleagues and do get in touch with thoughts or ideas about our organisation and help us to spread the word.